Thursday, September 15, 2011

South Africa Memoirs

Wow, so I guess this blog kinda turned into a flop while I was in South Africa. Sorry about that, I guess I just became more preoccupied than I expected to be! I blame it on the boy. *cough*


In a quick summary, here's what I have to say about my time spent in South Africa ... it was... incredible.
The winery-experience was outstanding. I couldn't get over how the tasting rooms were so resort-like. This is a picture sitting on the balcony at Vrede en Lust during a tasting in January.
The vineyard scenery's were breathtaking.

But don't get me wrong, it was tiring as well. I worked long hours at the winery and got down and dirty in the cellar. In two weeks my appetite doubled and my pant size dropped 2 sizes.
We brought in 650tons in 2.5 weeks and spent the following weeks tending to the rack and returns

Being goofy while shoveling out grape seeds, pips, from the Pellenc Destemmer shoot after a long day during harvest
Merlot, or Cab must/wine draining into a cauldron during a rack and return (2 stories above this, at the top of the tank, another person is holding a hose and wetting down the cap of the juice/skins) Easy peasy.

EYE-OPENING: learned some important life lessons, such as how to drive a stick shift, and how to keep your wits about you. AT ALL TIMES. I had the battery stolen from our work delivery truck while I was parked overnight off site... that was an awkward early morning phone call to the boss lady.... And, not to mention the poisonous snake that came lurching in our house on my first night on the farm.

Fun: Spent a lot of fun times soaking up the rays, kicking back, and enjoying the local wines and scenery. Stellenbosch was, hands down, my favorite town to hang out in. It's an adorable Dutch town with a killer University and Uni night life! I'll pass on the can and cream soda though..
Watched my first cricket match! Which was very exciting... for the first 8 hours, and then we left, at the half-time. Crazzzy long game.
Lounging at the cottage house pool was a luxury I took advantage of quite often when guests were not visiting!
Louise, Liam and I stranded on a rock during our end of harvest boat trip with the VnL team. For some reason the captain thought it'd be funny to leave us behind.
A photo of Table Mountain in Cape Town during the exhilarating boating trip

Delicious: mmm nothing beats a burger with black pepper gravy on top! I was a fan of the food, all around, from boerewoers to malva pudding.
A local's favorite! Burger with black pepper sauce.

An epic braai, bbq,that Craig and I made on our day off. Sooo good.

Hilarious: WOW, I've never met such funny people in my life.


I was treated so graciously by my host winery and I hope to visit again soon. South Africa is a beautiful country that should be on everyone's bucket list as a must-visit.
The view from Lion's Head Mountain - 12 Apostles Mountain, Cape Town

No comments:

Post a Comment