Sunday, February 27, 2011

Thermometer-In-Tank Issue

So you're probably wondering why I dropped the thermometer in the tank. Well, not because I wanted to see what would happen, though I have often wondered, but because I was working fast and apparently not as efficiently as I had planned.

Since I was doing the yeast innoculation on this 16,000 Liter tank of Shiraz, I was using the thermo probe to check that the temperature was right for the yeast as I brought down the temp closer to that of the tank. Then, while executing this task, Susan mentioned to me that three of the other tanks needed wood powder additions. Great, I'll do those additions as the yeast here sits and becomes active before I add it to the Shiraz. I'll put the thermometer... here in the yeast mixture, so I can check the temp once more before throwing in the yeast. POOF. Thought gone as I race off to weight out the wood powder.

Check - powder added to the tanks. Check - yeast ready to go. And toss in the yeast.... Ah, shit. Where's the thermometer? Yep. In the tank. Oh no... my heart sinks, my head races and I feel sick to my stomache. I quickly grab a bucket, tie string to it, and begin fishing around in the yeasty grape juice. There it is~ I spot it, but lose my grip on the tan as I hoist myself lower to push the bucket down into the juice with my foot. I quickly contemplate my actions and retract my foot: what's worse, risking my life or a thermometer?

After telling Susan about the problem and realizing the consequences of this mistake I feel miserable. Even 24 hours later I couldn't bring a smile to my face, nor look people straight in the eye, as my confidence was shot. My self esteem gone.

Luckily I'm on the up and up after a successful day at work this morning, as I managed the rack and returns (R&Rs) without a single mess up. It may not sound like much, but it's an accomplishment for me...

Like a ring leader I manage two pumps at the same time as wine drains from the tanks into cauldrons on the bottom level and pumps up the guys on the 3rd floor.

The cauldron, pump and ladder in use as the tank drains from above

A good foamy cauldron of fermenting wine as it drains from above

As they sit and wet the cap of the tank, I must constantly keep watch of the flow of the wine, speed of the pumps, and coordinate my actions with the guys up top, or in other words, I have to master the art of multi-tasking. Meanwhile, I watch the time for each Rack and Return, checking the sugar (Balling/Brix) and temperature, and make any needed additions of super food, NH4, or Tartaric Acid.


Baron and Cyril doing the pump overs on the 3rd level of the winery

Then once 30 minutes has passed I switch the lines to the next to tanks and carry on until all of 13 big boys are done. 3 hours later, one cycle of rack and returns is complete and the next cycle starts up again 2 hours later. What a hectic race!

During a harvesting day it proves to be even more difficult with the noise of the Pellenc destemmer, press, and other pumps running, as noise creates the worst distraction possible. Also, not to mention, the many other obstacles I have to work around.

Unfortunately this task has also brought me shame as I have broke 1 other thermometer and 2 hydrometers during my turmoil to work fast and efficiently. Again, no so efficient. :(

So yes, I have learned from my mistakes and as much as I hate to own up to them, I will. I just hope that my curse doesn't carry over to my next harvest!

Over and out,
d'laur the Smasher

2 comments:

  1. Awwww, I'm sorry about the thermometer goof, but you owned up to it and THAT is the most important thing. Shit happens to the best of us and people are surprisingly understanding during crush.

    For example, an intern broke a handheld Anton-Paar during harvest. I thought the owner was going to have a fit, but he said, "What good would that have done?" So, for the rest of harvest, we were back to glass hydrometers. Shit happens.

    p.s. I broke 5 hydrometers my very first internship. What can I say, I'm a clutz.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, thanks for that Martin! Yeah, my winemaker was worried but she kept telling me, "don't worry about it!" But being me, I couldn't help but worry and feel bad.
    Luckily though, yesterday when we were draining and pressing the tank we FOUND IT and it was still in one piece! So all is back to normal and I can lift my head a bit higher. hoo wee!

    ReplyDelete