Saturday, January 22, 2011

Outings for the L Team

The breeze blows in one window of my room and sweeps out the other. Whirlng around my body as it enters, I breath in the sweet figgy smell of the neighboring tree – one more week of ripening to go, I expect, and those figs will be ravished by yours truly. With great leisure I relax on my bed, netbook in hand, and download my recent pictures from this week – little tokens of memories that will forever be with me as “my first week in South Africa”. Not bad, yah? Yah, yah. I wish I could capture all that I see, feel, and experience, but I cannot. My pictures don’t do this adventure justice, so with words I try my best to explain.

(Unfortunately not all of the pictures that I have collected this week are in my possession, so you will have to be patient. Thanks :)

No work has set upon me yet so with pleasure and greed I take advantage of my endless days and nights by sleeping well, soaking in the sun, enjoying a bloody mary here and there, and exploring the surrounding wine regions, beaches and towns.

Last night was my first “official” night out, in terms of staying out past 11pm and witnessing “Tonight’s Gonna be a Good Night” blaring on the dance floor, while drunken teens celebrate their respective best-nights-ever. Right, so to set the stage a bit more, I should mention that this Friday night I found myself in Stellenbosch, the nearby college town, rather than in my own living room killing brown cobras…. A stark difference for sure, but more of that later. So, surrounded by giddy first years marking the end of their first week of college I sit back and take in this spectacle of a surprising amount of mullets whipping back and forth on the dance floor. Who knew that mullets were all the range (way) down south? My total count for the night was 5, but I aim to beat this number on my next Stellie outing.

Despite my obsession with counting mullets, I had a great time sharing a few drinks with Liam, Louise, their friend Craig, and his friend Jen. With both Craig and Jen as locals to Stellenbosch, I think it is safe to say that the Vrede en Lust “L Team” was in good hands for the night. After a few Castle beers, and a brandy and coke I found myself amoungst those lovely swaying mullets too and was able to show off my handy salsa moves to "pas parle Americano". A good night indeed. Stellenbosch has some amazing bars and I would recommend any college student to study abroad here.

No comments:

Post a Comment